Monday, September 21, 2015

Kasim Reed on a run for governor: ‘Not in ’18’

Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed. Kent D. Johnson, kdjohnson@ajc.com

Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed. Kent D. Johnson, kdjohnson@ajc.com

Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed gave a revealing interview to Atlanta Magazine about the fate of Turner Field, his “80/20” relationship with Gov. Nathan Deal and the city’s homeless problem.

Read the whole piece. But also take note of this interesting passage on the mayor’s short-term plans when his second term is up in 2017.

From the Atlanta Magazine piece:

Q: What’s next?

I’m going to probably spend some time in the private sector and make sure Sarah Elizabeth and Maria Kristan are ok. I think after that I’m going to spend more time in public life. I love it a lot. But I’ve got different responsibilities now. While I’m young and vibrant, I want to go ahead and secure some seed corn to make sure I can pay for Suzuki and Pace, or wherever.

Q: Do you want to be governor?

I don’t know. Not in ’18. It’s really important that when you run for these jobs that you’re okay, personally. When I became mayor, I was in reasonably good shape. It matters. And so, you look at your wife and daughter, and I’m not going from this public job to another public job. But I’m not being coy about how much I love public service. I think I’ve got a pretty good runway, and I think when we finish up here, we’ll be able to put up our ideas against anybody.

Oh, and click here for more on Georgia’s already-evolving race for governor in 2018.



from lloydcurry1 http://ift.tt/1NPDhl2

No comments:

Post a Comment